Saturday, August 4, 2018

Bonus Post - Week 1 Camp Update

There are some mean kids at camp. One of them laughed and made fun of Zion when he fell and his shoes fell off. That made Zion cry. But one of Noah's friend told him that that kid "boo li mao" (impolite) which I hope made him feel a little better. Then there was another kid who called Noah fat, but Noah said the kid was fatter than him. So odd. Then the kid called him a name "ma luh foo". I asked my friend here what it means and she didn't know so I asked Noah if he got the words right and he didn't know. So I guess we'll never know.

Zion seems to have made a friend too. But from what I understand, they didn't talk to each other. The kid just kept tickling his back. Noah has 2 friends and he says one of them will get his mom's number on Monday so we can have a playdate.

As far as their Chinese goes, both are speaking more but I think Noah has been benefiting more from this experience. But there has been one glaring downside. Noah says to me in English today "Mom, today tonight, are we meeting with anyone?" Now go ahead and translate that directly into Chinese. It looks like his Chinese is not improving as fast as his English is declining!

Take away from the first week of camp. The kids will need some sort of Chinese class or practice when we go back. Two weeks in the summer is not sufficient. And Noah has officially declared that this is the best camp he has ever been to. Yay!



No comments: