Thursday, January 1, 2009

Je-Sick-Ah


Well I just spent wayyy too much time selecting a memorable name for my first blog. I know I'm asking for it by naming it Je-Sick-Ah but you can't say it's not memorable. That reminds me of how my name came to be. A little history lesson for those of you who didn't know me in grade school. My name was Ja-Wai until I was 10 years old and I absolutely hated it. Aside from all the teasing I got from mean kids such as David, (hahaha, he'll probably never read this but this is my little way of seeking revenge for scarring my childhood) I also dreaded having substitute teachers. They always slaughtered my name during role call making all the kids laugh at me. So when I was in 5th grade I had the opportunity to change my name when I became a naturalized citizen. I had about 10 minutes to chose my new name. My mother and I decided that I should stick with a name that starts with "J". My mother suggested "Jacqueline" (after Jacqueline Kennedy) but being 10 years old at the time and not knowing much of anything including who Jackie Kennedy was I thought it sounded too "ethnic". Like Jakwanda, Janiqua...hahaha boy was I stupid. Well when I went home with my new name it caused more trouble than Ja-Wai! All my Chinese aunts criticized it saying it sounds too much like "Jezebel". That's all I heard for years. They would see me, say my new name and scoff. Jeeze, as if I could change it again. Now after 20 or so years I do not like my name too much. Must be because of all the references to Jezebel but I do like it better than Ja-Wai! No regrets there.

Happy New Years Everyone. Wishing you all the best in 2009!

3 comments:

shozzle said...

hahha david as in my brother? lol... well, i prefer jessica to jacqueline :) -sharon

Jessica said...

YES! YES! YES! But I'll never let him know that it affected me! It's a sign of weakness. HAHAHA

Anonymous said...

I didn't even notice the hahaha. I had to go back to find it. So I guess it doesn't matter to me.