Saturday, January 3, 2009

Unhappy New Years Deja Vu

Bryan woke up today with dizziness and the chills and went straight back to bed only to wake up with a bad case of the runs. Noah has been fussy and clingy all day and even threw up part of his lunch. I was OK until this evening when I started feeling nauseous and had a little diarrhea as well. I went to bed early and woke up at 3am trying to rid myself of some of this unpleasantness, i.e., toilet time. While I was on the toilet I thought of the last time I felt like this was when I went to Hong Kong with my dad about 15 years ago for some holiday shopping. It was New Year's Eve and we headed out on Tsim Sha Tsui to join the festivities. Were we in for a big surprise. New Years Eve in Tsim Sha Tsui consists of tens of thousands of people packed like sardines in the streets. I heard one year that 20+ people were trampled to death during New Year's Eve in Hong Kong. As we ventured out into the night I suddenly felt ill. Cold sweat and chills. I felt so sick that I asked my dad if we could take a taxi back to the hotel (bear in mind that I could see the hotel from where I was standing). But the motor traffic in the streets were at a standstill. So we headed by foot among the endless crowd back to the hotel. As we inched our way to the hotel, my dad decided that I should have some dinner - Pei Tan Pork Porridge - to help me feel better. When we got back to the room my dad drew a nice hot bath for me. I went to the bathroom, had some diarrhea and was feeling a little better. So I stepped into the tub and as the water reached my chest I felt a sudden urge to puke. I jumped out, headed for the sink and the porridge shot out of my mouth so forcefully that it came out through my nose as well. To this day I can remember the oily smell of porridge in my nostrils. When I woke up the next morning I wasn't feeling up to go shopping again. (Yes! I felt that sick!) But my dad insisted because he's such a wonderful dad and wanted me to spend my time in Hong Kong acquiring as many material things as possible! As we started shopping the illness completely subsided and by the end of the day it was as if nothing had happened. The culprit to all this unhappiness during the New Years? I suspect food poisoning. Lessons learned? Don't take a hot bath if you feel like puking and shopping cures all ailments. I think I'll tell Bryan when he wakes up that we NEED to go shopping today.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Oh no! I hope you guys are feeling better. Hey, it can only get better from here :)