Thursday, July 19, 2018

Day 2 - Shifen and Jiufen

Our day started out so good. Tried a new breakfast dish - basil dan bing. So, so yummy!



After breakfast we headed by train to Shifen. We had about a 30 minute wait at Ruifan until our next train arrived so we went searching for food. It was the perfect opportunity to grab our first meal at a convenience store. We had instant noodles, fried chicken and man tou.


Then we headed to Shifen to set out lanterns. Each colored panel of the lantern represents something like "prosperity, good health etc" and we are supposed to write our wishes on the panels. Noah wanted to write he wants a laptop and I told him not to waste his wish on it because it will never come true. 😆 Zion asked me if his wishes will actually come true and I told him it was more like a birthday candle wish. So the kids just decorated their side of the lanterns instead.




We also had this dessert that was quite unique. It starts with a thin wrap followed by sugared peanut shavings and topped with a scoop of taro ice cream and a scoop of peanut ice cream. Cilantro was optional. I liked all the ingredients separately but together was bit much for my jetlagged taste buds.


There was a huge line for their famous stuffed chicken wings and our train was already here so we decided to skip it. We arrived in Jiufan in the afternoon and oh my gosh...so many stairs... I don't know what I was expecting but I was not expecting that many! Waking up at 5a, figuring out public transport, hot weather, 2 kids, side trip to Shifen and loaded my already heavy bag with 6 packs "steel quail eggs" because it was buy 5 get 1 free...then to see those steps! I honestly did not appreciate Jiufen as much as I could have. I also wish we were able to do this trip around sunset when all the lanterns light up. That being said, it was still beautiful. We had iced tea at the famous A Mei Teahouse and insisted on sitting outside despite the heat to enjoy the views.





Zion napped on the entire bus ride back to Taipei. After a brief stopped at home we met up with my mom, Ken and the nephews for all you can eat shabu shabu where Zion slept through the entire dinner. After a long day and 2 blisters on my feet, I didn't even think to take any pictures of our dinner.

No comments: