Thursday, August 13, 2015

Day 12

Part 1

I have been dreading writing this next post mostly because it's my fault. On day 12, I left Noah and Zion in the bedroom watching DVDs while I went to the bathroom. Next thing I hear is Noah yelling "Zion is bleeding!" Not being able to leave the bathroom and not thinking it was that serious I told him to go get Uncle Joe. Noah continues to yell "Zion is bleeding" so I asked him if it was a little blood or a lot and he yells back "A lot!" At this point the commotion along with Zion's crying got Joe's attention and next thing I know he tells me to open the door and give him some toilet paper to stop the bleeding. Joe said there was so much blood he couldn't tell which fingers were cut and how deep. So I sat there on the toilet holding all Zion's fingers until we were both to calm down to assess his fingers. We saw that he cut his right ring finger and his pinkly (the pinky one being the deeper one). While I continued to put pressure on his finger (and still sitting on the toilet) we asked what he cut his finger on. Noah walks in with my eyebrow razor blade. Knowing how curious Zion is and how high he can climb, I keep the razor blade at home out of his reach. But here, I totally forgot. Knowing the cause and the fact that he hasn't stopped bleeding we decided to go to the hospital.

It was past 9pm so the emergency room was our only option. Joe tried to call his driver multiple times but he wasn't picking up so we quickly got dressed and headed to the street to flag down a taxi. I held Zion with one hand and held his other hand above his heart and we arrived at the hospital that Joe usually brings his family to. On the second floor there are a few Taiwanese doctors that my brother trusted however they were already gone for the day so we went to the emergency room. The hospital was very quiet. I only saw 1 other patient. When the doctor arrived he reeked of smoke. He then coughed into his hand and held it out to look at Zion's wound. After assessing the wound he said he could give him stitches but asked if I will be able to control Zion. I said, "What choice do I have? If it has to be done it has to be done!" He then tells me I could bring him to the Children's hospital and perhaps they'll be better equipped to treating children. So we headed back downstairs and the receptionist was nice enough to call a taxi for us.

When we arrived at the Children's Hospital it was totally madness. Hundreds of children to be treated all with various conditions. We had to first go register and pay a $2 registration fee. Then they gave us a patient card and pamphlet where eventually the doctor will fill out his diagnosis and treatment. Luckily the doctor who treats wounds didn't have too many patients and we were seen right away. The doctor explained that Zion did not need stitches. But the wound was still bleeding and very deep so we asked about getting stitches anyways. He told us that his thread was not very fine so it would not look good when it healed. Feeling that Zion had been through a lot and if he didn't need stitches I wasn't going to make him suffer though it so I decided to just have it bandaged up. He told us we needed to pay $8 for treatment and bandage fee first. While Joe went to pay we walked into the treatment room. There were 2 beds and a chair. Each bed was covered with what looks like 3 cloth diapers laid out. I saw hair and stains. Once of them was very torn up. Not being able to find a clean place to put Zion down I was relieved when the doctor gestured me to sit in the chair. Joe quickly returned with a receipt and Yakult yogurt drinks for the kids. The doctor cleaned and bandaged the wound while I held Zion and Joe immobilized his arm. We were in and out within 30 minutes. By this time Joe had reached his driver and he was waiting for us outside. Total cost $10 (less than our cab fare)!

When we got home we tried to call Bryan but he wasn't picking up. So I sent the happiest picture I had.


Here's one I took after he fell asleep.


Here is Zion looking at my facial cream the very next morning. Looks like he didn't learn his lesson.


And here is a look at the hospital registration paper and receipts. Joe was in such a hurry to fill out the forms it looks like he's now going to be completely responsible for Zion!



Stay tuned for Part 2. The follow up visits.

No comments: