Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Days 26 - 33 Last Post

David and Daniel started school so we tried filling our last week here with last minute shopping and keeping the kids entertained.

The kids were suppose to go swimming but it didn't quite work out so they biked to the community park with their swim clothes on. That night Noah complained about an itchy back and I found a lot of red itchy spots on it. Not knowing what to do I gave him Benedryl and scratched his back. I asked the Ayi the next day if it's "faye-tse" since I remember getting that when I was young. She confirmed it was and all I needed to do was to put baby powder on him. I think he got it because his swim shirt wasn't breathable and the sweat got trapped. Here is a photo of after scratching his back (the bumps turned into hives).


The next day we were able to go swimming. The weather has cooled down quite a bit but still very humid. The main pool was green (I am assuming because the kids started school and they stopped maintaining it as much) so we ended up spending the entire time in the kiddie pool. Here is a photo of Zion blowing up his own floaty.


We also visited another indoor playground. The "sand pit" was filled with black rice.




We had lunch at Johnny Moo which is like a Johnny Rockets. The burgers were pretty good and at the end of the meal they brought the kids cotton candy.


The kids got bored one day when everyone was out of the house and we didn't have a driver. So I broke out a Rainbow Loom that I bought for the airplane ride but we never had to use it. Noah really likes these bracelets that his friends give him but because he doesn't have a sister at home he never had a chance to make them. It looks like Noah was not the only one who had fun with it.


On one of our last days we dropped the kids off at Little Bugz again with the Ayi (how I wish I had an Ayi back home...) and Luda brought me luxury goods bargain shopping. I thought I had made a mistake when we walked in and EVERYONE started following her and yelling at her to buy their stuff. They all saw dollar signs when they saw here blonde hair and white complexion. We found a shop that brought out their "suitcase" with their "special" wallets. When I asked them the price they told me $125. Since Luda had bought these before for $22 she counter offered. She told them that she just bought it 3 months ago and was going to find the other store who sold it for that price. When they refused to lower we walked away and they called us back to make the deal. I'm pretty sure they could've gone lower but it's good enough for me. Here is a look at the only thing I bought for myself in Shanghai.


Our last day in Shanghai was quite special. We celebrated David's 7th birthday. Happy Birthday David!!


As you may have already noticed we didn't go anywhere special. The weather here has been unbearably hot and humid not to mention the blood sucking mosquitos. Also with the local kids on summer vacation I really didn't want to brave the crowds. A part of the reason why we came to Shanghai other than visiting the nephews was so that the kids could be immersed in Chinese culture and practice their Chinese like I did when I was young. Unfortunately, Noah spent most of his time staring at the built in DVD player in the car and played with Expat kids that spoke English. FAIL!

Tonight being our last night in Shanghai, Daniel finally decided that he was going to play with Zion. They were running around having a great time and worked up a head full of sweat. It makes me a bit sad to go now :(  Maybe Daniel will change his mind tomorrow then I will be glad to leave. Fingers crossed. haha  Can't wait to see you guys. Miss you all!

No comments: