Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Day 21 - Day of Rest (Cama Coffee)

We have about a week left here in Taipei and only 3 more days of the kids' camp so I've been diligently checking things off my shopping list. Which means my days are kinda boring to blog about.

This morning the maid was coming so I had to get out of the house for a few hours. I went to a corner shopping place that has literally everything. I'm not sure what those types of places are called but they have everything. I will take a picture of I go again. Then I grabbed a honey iced latte and started a book that Noah just finished.



I was debating if I should run a couple of errands in the afternoon but I decided not to and just take it easy until I had to pick up the kids.

Zion made a friend today and hung out with her the entire afternoon. That may sound like good news but it turns out that he managed to find the only kid in class that speaks English fluently. (Her father is white.) Oh well...

Noah on the other hand has boy who is mean to him. The same boy who called him names. He said that he found out the boy called him "Ma Che Fu"? Something like a horse carriage driver? We're still not sure why that's an insult. He also called Noah an "Ah Dok Ah" which in Taiwanese I believe it means "white or foreigner". I've heard my grandparents use the term before but never found it to be insulting. But they were actually referring to white people. So the teacher made the boy bow to Noah and apologize for calling him that. I was feeling a bit defensive about the boy being so mean and tried to suggest to Noah how he could respond to him. But Noah said it really doesn't bother him, he just wants to know what the kid is saying. I feel a bit ashamed when he is handling it better than me.

Anyway, the kids are really enjoying playing the diabolo. Here is a video of Zion practicing. They can do more impressive tricks but somehow when you try to record it, it never works.


I am getting better at ordering dinner now! We had the dumplings again plus I managed to order stewed daikons and sa-cha dried noodles.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Z is so smart! Did I tell you your food picks have influenced what I buy at the store? More Chinese food keeps coming in. Haha!

Jessica said...

Hahaha, so true. I am a little inspired to cook these when I get back too!