Thursday, August 9, 2018

Day 23 - Italy On My Mind (YOLOS Cafe)

The kids have their camp at an athletic center that has basketball courts, skating rink, swimming pools and various other sports. During drop offs I noticed that mostly old people go there in the mornings. Today I was walking behind this very cool older lady and I couldn't tell exactly what she was riding on. It even had a cup holder!


Since I've crossed almost everything off my to do list I decided that I would go get a massage. After researching a few places in our neighborhood I decided to go to the one just a few steps away from our house. While researching I saw some offering traditional Chinese massages AKA Tua Na. I googled it and read briefly about it including one that said something like it's not meant to be relaxing like western massages. Well, when in Rome right? 

I paid NT1300 for 60 minutes and those were the most torturous 60 minutes of my life. Seriously, birthing Noah was faster! They first had me rinse off in their shower followed by 60 minutes of deeply massaging every accupressure point and using a scraper to scrape bruises on my entire back! I've had that done before but never willingly, without yelling and paying for it! I am sitting in bed writing this because it hurts to lie down!

So after another quick shower I was off for another late lunch. Have I mentioned that every cafe I've been to so far is within 2 blocks of our house? Today I ordered a chicken toast and Sicilian Iced Coffee. The lady told me the coffee has lemon and asked if I still wanted to order it. Sure, why not. 

The thing is, I really don't like drinks all that much. Whether it be juice, boba, wine, beer  coffee etc., I just never had a taste for it.  A few years ago, around when my father passed away I found that I started to order iced coffee. Partially because my dad loved drinking coffee with lots of sugar, partially because it gave me something to order when everyone else orders things to drink and partially because it made me feel like a sophisticated adult. Haha But I can't say I really enjoy it all that much. Especially when the coffee tastes burnt or has a weird sour taste - which is quite often. 

So with that background in mind, I need to tell you that I had the best iced coffee ever! It was very refreshing because of the lemon and they added some salt to it. I can't say it's for everyone but I really did love it. I wish I had tried this place earlier!



After my refreshing light meal I went to pick up the kids. They had a field trip today to a local farm. Noah said there was lots of "guas". Shi gua (watermelon), coo gua (bitter melon), and di gua (sweet potato?) not sure. They also saw some peacocks, had organized competition between the older kids and younger kids, painted some coin banks and planted some sunflowers that looked more like rosemary.

What they were most impressed by was the bus! It's one of those fancy buses with AC, soft cushiony seats with seat covers and even TVs! Much, much, much nicer than their usual yellow school buses in America. 

Since it's so hot here I filled a huge thermos with ice and iced water plus I froze 2 water bottles for them to bring. Knowing that the parents in Taiwan probably aren't too keen about giving their kids iced water i asked if any of the kids said anything. They totally did. Haha One of the teachers even commented on it and a kid went to touch their bottle. They were all pretty amazed and my kids were clueless as to why they were.

Since the kids did not have any sleeping bags today we walked to Carrefour to pick up some last things to bring back to the US and had dinner there.




Here's a picture of the kids playing with their kabuki mask prizes that Zion actually called jang ping (prize)! 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, you can get Peepa Gao in the US right? Hee hee. And no wonder you don't like coffee, you are drinking it black?!?! I would think you like lemon coffee. It is about the only fruit I know you like in your food/ drink.

Jessica said...

I usually order the iced coffee in the US that is presweetend milk so I don't actually have to taste the coffee! Haha and Yes I know we can get pepagao here but only Bryan takes it occasionally so usually the entire bottle sits in the fridge until the expiration date. So thought this mini bottle would be better.